Products and Services
RICA sim cards to ensure they stay active after purchase
The Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provisions of Communication-Related Information Act 70 of 2002, or RICA for short, is the face-to-face authentication and validation of all customers when they purchase a new SIM card – regardless of network.
Why is it important to RICA a customer’s SIM card?
RICA allows personal information to be linked to a cell phone number and SIM card ICCID (serial number), which helps law enforcement track down people involved in illegal activity and crime conducted via mobile phones.
This is the important first step that, as a Flash merchant, you will need to complete when selling a new SIM card. Without doing this RICA registration, the customer’s SIM card will be in active, and the customer will not be able to make or receive calls, access the internet or send and receive messages.
The RICA process must be performed face-to-face with the customer who intends on using the SIM card, and it takes only a few minutes. Every customer must provide the following documents when purchasing a new SIM card:
Verification of Information: SA Citizen / Permanent Resident:
- ICCID (serial number) of SIM card
- Full Names and Surname
- SA ID number or passport number as it appears on: Green bar-coded ID, Temporary ID certificate (check expiry date), ID card (when applicable), SA passport (check expiry date)
Verification of Information: Non-SA Citizen:
- ICCID (Serial Number) of SIM card
- Full Names and Surname and ID number as it appears on: Passport (please check expiry date), Refugee document (please check expiry date)
- Issuing country as it appears on: Passport (please check expiry date)
Verification of address:
Address can be validated by checking and requesting one of the following documents:
- Residential or employment address
- Bank statement (not older than 3 months)
- Rates and/or electricity account (not older than 3 months)
- Phone account (not older than 3 months)
- TV license (current)
- Insurance policy (current)
- Lease agreement (current)
- New vehicle license agreement
- If in informal settlement: Please provide address of nearest school or community centre/church/retail store/where person normally receives their post. An affidavit is also acceptable if the above is not available.
As a Flash Merchant, you’ll also be able to assist customers with older SIM cards to RICA if they did not do this when purchasing. The customer will need to provide the same documentation as a new customer.
Follow these steps to use your Flash machine or Flash business mobile app to RICA anew SIM card:
Step 1: Choose the network provider.
Step 2: Enter a valid SIM card serial number or ICCID (Integrated Circuit Card Identifier).
Step 3: Enter a valid South African ID number or foreign passport number followed by a first name, last name, and a valid residential address.
Once all the details have been entered correctly, register the SIM card and it will have been RICA’ ed successfully.
This process is the same for all the major networks.
Need more information on how to process a RICA registration?